Last updated on August 20, 2018
Depending on the service, we may provide additional or different privacy statements or notices for specific interactions you have with us or to highlight how we use your personal information for specific services. Where we do this, it will be clear which statements apply to which interactions and services.
- What Personal Data does Cannvas collect?
The type of personal information we collect depends on how you are interacting with the Website and which services you are using.
In many cases, you can choose whether or not to provide us with personal information (“Personal Data”), but if you choose not to, you may not get full functionality from the services.
(a) Personal information we receive from you, the member:
• We collect Personal Data from you when you voluntarily provide such information. This includes when you register for the Website (for example, name, address and email address), use certain Website services, or connect your Website account to online third-party network such as Facebook, Twitter or other social networks. The information we receive from your social networks, is dependent upon your privacy settings with the social network. You should always review, and if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third-party websites and Website before linking or connecting them to our Website. Personal Data includes:
o your contact information, such as full name and email address;
o your username and password;
o the content, communications and other information you provide when you use the Website, including when you sign up for an account or post comments. This can include information in or about the content you provide (such as metadata);
o all communications, if any, with other users of the Website;
o information that you provide when you contact or engage platform support regarding the Website;
o device information, such as, information about your device, such as IP address, location or provider;
o usage information and browsing history, such as, information about how you navigate within our Services, your browsing history and which elements of our Services you use the most;
o location data, for Services with location-enhanced features; and
o demographic information, such as, your country, and preferred language.
• Mobile data. When you use our Website on your mobile device, we may receive or collect and store unique identification numbers associated with your device (“Device ID”), mobile carrier, device type and manufacturer, phone number, and, depending on your mobile device settings, your geographical location data, including GPS coordinates (e.g. latitude and/or longitude) or similar information regarding the location of your mobile device. This allows us to provide you with offers from merchants in your vicinity. You can turn this feature off by adjusting your phone settings.
• Cookies and other tracking data. We may collect information using cookies, log file data, and clear gifs (also known as web beacons) to track usage information, to remember you on our Website, and to provide additional functionality. We automatically collect certain types of usage information when you use our Website and when you communicate with Cannvas. When you visit our Website, we may send one or more cookies — a small text file containing a string of alphanumeric characters — to your computer that uniquely identifies your browser and lets us help you log in faster and enhance your navigation through the site. A cookie may also convey information to us about how you use the Website (e.g., the pages you view, the links you click, how frequently you access the Website), and allows us to track your usage of the Website. We may collect log file information from your browser or mobile device each time you access the Website. Log file information may include anonymous information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, information about your mobile device, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on the Website, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information. We may employ clear gifs (also known as web beacons) which are used to anonymously track the online usage patterns of our users. In addition, we may also use clear gifs in HTML-based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients. The information allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of the Website. We may also collect analytics data, or use third-party analytics tools, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Website. These tools collect information sent by your browser or mobile device, including the pages you visit, your actions on our websites, and other information that assists us in analyzing and improving the Website. Here are some useful resources that provide detailed information about types of cookies, how they are used, and how you can manage your cookie preferences: www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org. Please click below for detailed information on how to disable and delete cookies in some commonly used browsers:
• Mozilla Firefox:
• Microsoft Internet Explorer:
• Google Chrome:
• Safari: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/safari/manage-cookies-and-website-data-sfri11471/mac
- How does Cannvas Website use my Personal Data?
We collect and use information for the following:
• To improve customer service within the website. Information collected helps us respond to your service requests and needs more efficiently and allows us to update our customer service solutions regularly.
• To personalize your user experience by providing you with custom solutions. Your information allows us to better understand how our users use our services and resources, and what more we can offer.
• To improve site functioning by using your feedback to improve services.
• To send periodic emails. We collect email information to send information to users, if they have subscribed to our mailing list. We may use the email addresses to send the customer information, to respond to inquiries, questions and other requests. If the user subscribes to our mailing list, they may receive promotional content or other content such as company news, updates, related product or service information, etc. The customer/user has the option to at any time unsubscribe from receiving future emails by using the unsubscribe feature and instructions included at the bottom of each email, or by contacting us directly. See below to learn how to opt-out of any further messages of this nature from us.
• To enforce our terms and conditions.
• We may also use your Personal Data in aggregate form as described under “How Does Cannvas Website use Aggregate Data.” When we do this the data is anonymized so that you cannot be personally identified.
- How does Cannvas Website use aggregate data?
In order to provide the best service to you, Cannvas Website measures and analyzes the demographics, interests and behavior of our members based on the Personal Data provided to us. We also provide aggregate information to third parties about how our members, collectively, use our service. The Website may also share aggregated user statistics in order to describe our Website to current and prospective business partners and clients, and to other third parties. This aggregated data does not identify you individually.
- How does Cannvas Website share my Personal data?
(b) Agents and Service Providers - Like many businesses, the Website shares personal information with agents, third party suppliers and other service providers who perform work on our behalf. We may also share statistical data with our business partners or third party suppliers.
(c) Anonymized Aggregated Data - As described above, we aggregate and anonymize data and use and disclose such information for a variety of purposes. However, in these situations, we do not disclose any information that could be used to identify you personally.
(e) Any person you have asked us to share information with (e.g., if you upload information into a public forum it is shared publicly).
In any other circumstances, you will be prompted with a separate agreement asking for your permission to share Personal Data with a third party.
- International Transfers
The Website is available globally and your personal information may be stored and processed outside of your home country, including in countries that may not offer the same level of protection for your personal information as your home country. We have measures in place to ensure that when your personal information is transferred internationally, it is subject to appropriate safeguards in accordance with data protection laws. Often, these include contractual safeguards. More information about these safeguards (including copies, where relevant) can be obtained by contacting us here.
- Choices Regarding Your Information
(a) Marketing Communications. If you do not wish to receive promotional emails, you can click the “unsubscribe” button on promotional email communications. Note that you are not permitted to unsubscribe or opt-out of non-promotional messages regarding your account, such as account verification, changes or updates to features of the websites, or technical and security notices.
(b) Online Advertising. We may permit third party online advertising networks to collect information about your use of our website over time so that they may play or display contextual ads that may be relevant to your interests on our websites as well as on other websites. Typically, the information we share is provided through cookies or similar tracking technologies. The only way to completely “opt out” of the collection of any information through cookies or other tracking technology is to actively manage the settings on your browser or mobile device. Please refer to your browser’s or mobile device’s technical information for instructions on how to delete and disable cookies, and other tracking/recording tools. (To learn more about cookies, clear gifs/web beacons and related technologies, you may wish to visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org and/or the Network Advertising Initiative’s online resources, at http://www.networkadvertising.org). Depending on your mobile device, you may not be able to control tracking technologies through settings.
- How Long We Keep Personal Information
In some cases, it is not possible for us to specify in advance the periods for which your Personal Data will be retained. We calculate retention periods for your personal information in accordance with the following criteria:
• the length of time necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for;
• when you cease to use our Services;
• the length of time it is reasonable to keep records to demonstrate that we have fulfilled our duties and obligations;
• any limitation periods within which claims might be made;
• any retention periods prescribed by law or recommended by regulators, professional bodies or associations; and
• the existence of any relevant proceedings.
Please submit a support request if you wish to delete your account. Notwithstanding the other provisions of this Section 7, we may retain your Personal Data where such retention is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person.
- Your Rights
Our privacy practices are aligned with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). If you are located in the European Union (“EU”), the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or Switzerland, this additional information may be relevant and applicable to you. Further information on how to exercise your rights is set out below.
We will honor your rights under applicable data protection laws. You have the following rights under European laws and may have similar rights under the laws of other countries.
• Right of subject access: The right to make a written request for details of your personal information and a copy of that personal information.
• Right to rectification: The right to have inaccurate information about you corrected or removed.
• Right to erasure ('right to be forgotten'): The right to have certain personal information about you erased.
• Right to restriction of processing: The right to request that your personal information is only used for restricted purposes.
• Right to opt out of marketing: You can manage your marketing preferences by unsubscribe links found in the communications you receive from us or by visiting the applicable preference center.
• Right to object to the processing of the your Personal Data: The right to object to processing of your personal information in cases where our processing is based on the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or we have let you know the processing is necessary for our or a third party’s legitimate interest.
• Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority: If you consider that the processing of your personal data infringes the GDPR, you have a right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority in the country where you live, or work, or where you consider that data protection rules have been breached.
• Right to data portability: The right to ask for the personal information you have made available to us to be transferred to you or a third party in machine-readable format.
• Right to withdraw consent: The right to withdraw any consent you have previously given us to handle your personal information. If you withdraw your consent, this will not affect the lawfulness of our use of your personal information prior to the withdrawal of your consent.
These rights are not absolute, and they do not always apply in all cases.
In response to a request, we will ask you to verify your identity if we need to, and to provide information that helps us to understand your request better. If we do not comply with your request, whether in whole or in part, we will explain why.
- Is my Personal Data secure?
We take the security of your Personal Data and other information very seriously. We take reasonable steps to protect this data from loss, unauthorized access or misuse. However, no Internet, email or electronic transmission is ever completely secure, so we encourage you to take special care in deciding what information you send us in this way.
- What if Cannvas Website needs to update this policy?
We reserve the right to modify this Policy from time to time. If we make any changes to this Policy, we will change the "Last Revision" date above and will post the updated Policy on this page.
- How do I update my Personal Data?
If you feel that you need to update your Personal Data for any reason, please submit a request to our customer service email. Once we receive your request we will take reasonable steps to update any Personal Data that you have submitted via our Website.